Friday, January 30, 2009

The Mysterious Traveler sets out yet again

Sunday I'm off to Florida for my annual visit to my mom, leaving behind me a pile of washed-but-un-ironed laundry, and a sheaf of notes for the housesitter.

Work finally slowed down this week, but many clients have come out of the woodwork to book projects for the week I get back. That is great news in terms of money, but I wonder if I've committed to too much. Fortunately, much of the work is quite interesting.

I'm continuing to try to get a grip on the Weblogger Meetup that I've been organizing for the past year after inheriting the leadership of the group from a friend who had a much greater talent for it. Currently I'm surveying the group members to figure out what would make the event more appealing to them. They are just about evenly divided on every aspect of the survey except one: None of them wants to be involved in organization or leadership of the group -- except for one dear woman who is already one of the most overcommitted people on the planet. Isn't that always the way it goes?

My friend Tom, who is also one of those natural-born organizers, has been working with me to host a monthly games party at the house. We've had a couple of trial runs, fairly successful, in which I've discovered that my taste in free-form word games is balanced by other folks' taste in more structured adventure games. Fortunately, the house can easily accommodate four groups at a time. We've played Settlers of Cataan (sp?), The Great Dalmuti, Wise and Otherwise, Scrabble, Chronology, Fluxx, Apples to Apples, and Chronology -- plus a game in which we were constructing a haunted house as we went along. I think The Great Dalmuti is my favorite.

If you'd like to be added to the invite list for the next party (most likely on a Sunday afternoon/evening in March) please send email and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment