Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Seattle I left is not the one I came back to

It was weird to be back East last week and find Seattle in the international news because of the Jewish Federation shootings. Very few of the people we visited in Massachusetts (many of them Jewish) have visited Seattle, and this certainly gave them a strange impression of it. Both my mother and I are familiar with the Federation offices and it seemed like the last place such a thing would happen.

Perhaps this is an inappropriate reaction, but I was relieved that the shooter was an isolated local nut case rather than some political extremist or terrorist whose acts might have implications for other cities.

I'm sorting through all the photos and stories from the trip, plus all the mail and messages that piled up while we were gone, and will probably blog a bit about the trip later. I'm still wandering around petting the cats and checking on the plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment