Thursday, July 20, 2006

Classic summer "salads"

The past two days are the closest I've come to living the life I envisioned when I left Apple this spring. I've been meeting with fellow bloggers and writers, working with a coach on issues that affect my writing, walking with my friend Rae, spending time with my mom, having dinner with Zorg, gardening, and editing a book about cooking.

The cooking book is very impressive (more on that later). But for some reason it got me thinking about truly kitschy recipes, such as the classic "Pink Cloud" (which my friend Deb calls "Pink Shit"). Turns out there are many recipes for Pink Cloud. Most of them contain:

1 can crushed pineapple
1 small box of strawberry jello
1 pint of small curd cottage cheese
1 small container of Cool Whip
1 cup mini marshmallows

Assembly is simple: Combine ingredients, refrigerate overnight, and serve. Some people heat the pineapple and sprinkle the jello powder on that to dissolve it. But apparently it's not necessary. Do it with lime jello and you've got...Green Cloud? Well, actually it's called Lime Jello Marshmallow Cottage Cheese Surprise. Here's recipe for it with a nice little twist.

While hunting down the Pink Cloud recipe, I also found a dish one of my high school sorority sisters was famous for -- the sinfully rich blueberry jello salad, full of sour cream, cream cheese, and chopped nuts. According to About.com, this is a Southern food classic.

Bon appetit
, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment